Of all the very fine red wines made in Stellenbosch and elsewhere in the Cape today, the name Kanonkop is consistently among those at the top of the lists compiled by critics, judges, collectors and buyers.
The purity, finesse and structure of Kanonkop’s wines are well documented and consistently accrue the judges’ trophies, 95+ point ratings or five-star accolades.
If, however, there are two characteristics that stand out and allow Kanonkop to command its status as South Africa’s First Growth, they are consistency and a sense of place.
Kanonkop essentially produces 2 ranges of wine:
- Wines made in a softer, fruit forward style for earlier consumption
- Grapes originate from dedicated contract growers in the Stellenbosch region
- Automated punch-downs during fermentation
- Matured in older French oak barrels for 12 months
- Wines made in a complex, age-worthy style for extended maturation
- Grapes originate solely from older vineyards on the Kanonkop Estate
- Manual punch-downs during fermentation
- Matured in new French oak barrels for 18 to 24 months
If food is the body of good living, wine is it’s soul